Saturday, August 8, 2015

Day 4 of the Whole30. Prep Day!

It's 8:41 pm, and I survived Day 4. It should be "Day 4, and I'm poor." I went to Tucson to stock up on some essentials and food for this week.  I kind of panicked and bought 3 jars of clarified butter in case I can't get back to Tucson soon.  I also purchased some other random things that I wouldn't normally buy. 

1. Cheesecloth (for future clarified butter making at home).  8 yards of cheesecloth to be exact. 
2. Ground lamb.  I made lamb burgers with garlic and rosemary to have for lunches for the next few days. I didn't even know they made ground lamb. 
3. Canned sardines and anchovy filets.  I have no idea why.  Don't ask.  Maybe I'll eat it as a fast, easy protein/fat? On a salad? If you have good ideas about how to use these things, please share!
4. Rainbow colored radishes.  I don't even like radishes, but I felt like I had to mix it up.
5. Spaghetti squash.  I buy these sometimes but not often.  Tonight I made my own spaghetti meat sauce and roasted the spaghetti squash.  That is dinner for the next several days and maybe a breakfast, too. 

I think that's the last of the random stuff.  Everything else seemed fairly rational.  Canned tuna. Crushed tomatoes.  Pomegranate seeds. (ok...that's a random one, too.) Salad stuff. 

I cooked the lamb burgers, spaghetti squash and tomato meat sauce, and cooked a bag of sweet potatoes.  I'm in a good place for food for a few days.  I'm going to make mayo and ketchup tomorrow.  I'll use the mayo to make a chicken salad with grapes and walnuts for lunches later in the week and the ketchup for my lamb burgers. 

I went out for lunch at a fast "healthy" Mexican food place next to the Trade Joe's.  You can pick your salad or burrito or tacos.  Once you pick an item and a protein, you pick all the other stuff they put on it, and honestly, that was all food that I can't eat.  Beans, rice, ranch avocado dressing, crispy tortilla strips, cheese, AAAAAAA.  I spent 5 minutes moving down the line as the prepared my salad saying, "Oh! no! Not that.  Oh! No cheese.  Uhm, no rice.  Yes...salsa. No!!!! Drop the tortilla strips!"

The couple in front of me was incredibly slow and indecisive and strange...yes, more strange than me, the weird girl ordering chicken and lettuce and salsa and saying "No! Not that!" for every other additional option.  The woman at the register felt so bad about the slowness of the weird couple that she reached for a homemade chocolate chip cookie and said, "You've been waiting so long. I want you to have a free cookie." 

I might have shrieked, "NO!!"  I cookie panicked. Then I tried to act a tad more rational.  "Uhm, I mean, no thank you.  I don't need a cookie.  It's fine. I didn't mind waiting."  I really wanted that cookie. 

Bonus: I officially made it longer than some in my family thought.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment