Monday, August 24, 2015

Day 20 of the Whole 30. Back to Hub and their Corn-Tainted Salad

It is 8:33 pm, and I survived Day 20 of the Whole30 Challenge.  I'm two thirds of the way through this month, which is pretty amazing.  I feel good, and I haven't had a lot of meltdowns recently about stuff I can't eat but I REALLY, REALLY want to eat.  There aren't things I really, really want to eat so much. I might think of something for a second, but then I am over it.  Mmmmm, fried chicken. mmmmmm, donut.  Fleeting thoughts of formerly favorite foods....

Today I had another meeting in Tucson followed by lunch at Hub, the trendy hipster place downtown.  This is the place with corn on the salads, artisan bacon on everything, and the decadent homemade ice cream.  I knew the drill....burger, no bun/cheese/bacon, salad no corn, balsamic vinaigrette on the side, and this time, wisely, add avocado! No fuss, no worry.  We have been down this hipster road before.

Dinner was the delicious meatball, zoodle, and red sauce combo, which made me happy.   Tomorrow I finish off the shawarma during an all-day staff retreat where everyone else is ordering sandwiches, but I'm opting for my packed lunch as well as a garden salad I requested. It's not so hard planning ahead, even on meeting/order-in-food days. Everyone wants to be really helpful saying stuff like, "Oh, I'm sure there's something you can order.  What about the sandwich without the bread? What about the X? the Y? Well certainly the Z is fine, yes?"  No.  No X, Y, Z or sandwich meats or making things hard.  Just get me the garden salad, and I'll gladly eat my packed lunch as well.  Yes, I mean it.  I'm sure. I'm really, really sure.  (You have to repeat yourself sometimes because people really want to be helpful.  It's ok.  Just repeat yourself.)

So, that's my not-so-exciting recap of the day.  Oh, I had one of the RX bars that are Whole30 approved. It tasted fine, not too sweet, not too weird tasting. It did stick to my teeth like the dickens! It must have been the dates.  I had it as a late-afternoon snack and felt plenty full afterwards.  


2 comments:

  1. How did I miss the last 19 days! Keep up the good work. I have to go read from Day 1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How's the vegan experiment going, Alexa? Thanks for reading!

      Delete