Saturday, August 22, 2015

Day 18 of the Whole30, and I'm So Tired of Cooking.

It is 9:13 pm, and I survived Day 18 of the Whole30 Challenge.  Today was a long day.  I went to three different grocery stores in Green Valley trying to find green curry and lemongrass, I did some cooking and prep stuff, and I had a nice long swim this morning. 

I almost had a faint hint of heartburn for the first time in weeks.  I ate chicken schawarma 3 meals in a row....maybe that was overkill.  Dinner, breakfast, and lunch...whoops!  When I say almost a hint, I mean it. There was a second this afternoon where I felt like I was going to get heartburn, and then that feeling went away.  In my previous life, I used to get heartburn all. the. time.  I should have purchased stock in Tums. Seriously.  At least I used to get a lot of calcium.  Hopefully that was a good thing.  Since I started changing up my eating, and especially since I started the Whole30, I rarely ever have heartburn.

Here's what my afternoon looked like.
3:00 pm: Write some letters that I wanted to write.
4:00 pm: Go to the store for supplies, including stuff for meatballs, zoodles, Oldie's Green Curry, sweet potatoes, vegetables for breakfast, and berries
5:00 pm: Go to the second store looking for green curry and lemongrass
5:20 pm: Stop at third store, find green curry, no lemongrass.  (actually, that's not true.  I found lemongrass pre-cut in the tube.  The ingredients include canola oil and whey, both of which are not cool with the Whole30 gig, so I couldn't use that lemongrass, and no one had whole lemongrass because I live in a wasteland...lemongrass isn't available in a wasteland, evidently.)
6:00 pm: Get home, run around with the dogs, unload groceries.
6:30 pm: Start to roast/bake some things needing roasting/baking.  Sweet potatoes and cauliflower.
6:40 pm: Feed the dogs.  Give the dogs carrots.  Hang out with dogs.
7:15 pm: Mix up the meatballs, roll them out, and put them in the oven.
7:30 pm: Cut up watermelon purchased today.  Put away cauliflower.  Take out sweet potatoes.
7:45 pm: spiralize some zucchini.  open can of crushed tomatoes, add a bunch of spices, peel sweet potatoes and put in the fridge. 
8:00 pm: start to saute zucchini.
8:10 pm: take meatballs out of the oven and put on paper towel-lined plate.  fix my plate for dinner, meatballs, zucchini noodles, tomato sauce. 
9:00 pm: finish washing dishes. 


The meatball, zucchini noodle, tomato sauce concoction was great.  For the meatballs, I used half beef and half pork, two eggs, a spoonful of homemade mayo, and spices.  I could have added some chopped onion, but at that point, I was over prepping ingredients and foods.  

I spent a lot of time trying to maximize time today.  While one thing was cooking, I would prep another or cut up the watermelon or peel the baked sweet potatoes so I can mainline them later because they are delicious. 

I will make the green curry tomorrow, which will leave me with a combination of curry, the meatballs, a couple of servings of schawarma, and two steaks I bought yesterday (that might be best for breakfast).  So, I should have breakfasts, lunches, and dinners covered for a few days.

This week, I also stocked up on a few different Whole30 allowed bars.  The book says to focus on eating real food, not bars like this, but that they can be used in a pinch and come in very handy. 

The Epic bars are mostly meat, and there are flavors like Apple and Bacon or Chicken Sriracha.  I am a tad afraid to try them, wondering what meat it actually tastes like. You have to be careful with the varieties.  Most are ok, but the bison has brown sugar, so it is out for the Whole30.

RxBars are Whole30 approved, as well, but one variety not included in my mix also had some non-compliant ingredient.  Make sure to read the labels, even if you see that a certain bar is approved.  Sometimes the flavors of an item aren't always following guidelines. 

Last but not least is the mimi Larabar. These are mostly dates and nuts.  Again, make sure to read labels so you don't end up with a variety that might have peanuts or sugar or something else not Whole30 kosher.    

I'll let you know when I try any of these.  It will be nice to have them around in case of emergencies or unexpected delays getting home or eating. 

I'm exhausted, everyone.  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment