Sunday, August 16, 2015

Day 11 and Day 12... A Whole Lot of Whole30 Cooking

I missed my update on Day 11, so today's Day 12 update will perform double duty.  I went to visit my friends at their house yesterday, got to have snuggly lap dog time with their adorable dogs, and got home at 9:30 pm, which is 30 minutes past my bedtime.  My friends and I usually get together at dinner time at some local restaurant, but they are on an eating out hiatus, and I have all the Whole30 eating out baggage, so it was nice to just hang out and relax without dealing with a meal.  That's one of the things about this process, I'm learning.  Things don't always revolve around a meal, or at least they shouldn't.  More than anything I want the proper mix of protein, fat, and vegetables to eat without thinking about it too much. 

I have been trying to use the weekend to stock up on some things I need.  I finally made mayonaise....not messed up mayo, but real, actual, decent tasting mayo.  That unlocks some potential for making tuna salad, ranch dressing, and other recipes in the book that rely on the homemade mayo.  Phew. 

I also made ketchup.  I'm not completely sold on the ketchup. It was ok last night and tonight for dipping my burger, but I didn't love it.  I used apple cider vinegar per the recipe. I'm wondering if balsamic would taste better.  I might just add a bunch or horseradish and lemon juice and treat it like more of a cocktail sauce. 

Today was the first day I would randomly think about carbs and want to eat them. Homemade salt risen bread, waffles, a grilled sandwich of some sort or another.  Visions of sugar plums were dancing in my head, except the sugar plums were baked goods and loaves of bread. 

I wonder if it has to do with what I ate early this morning before I walked the dogs.  I goofed up and had a banana and some almond butter this morning before walking the dogs.  I thought "banana....energy! and almond butter...fat!"  I was so wrong.  It made me grouchy, grouchy, and grouchy.  I even yelled at a guy who tried to jam up our walk by blocking our car with his car and his unattended barking dogs where we were parked.  Yeah.  I was really cute this morning.  Just ask Booney and Myrtle.  I went back to the book to read the pre-workout meal, and I should have had the fat and a protein to feel better this morning.  Lesson learned.  Hard boiled eggs and some nuts in the morning before walking dogs. 

Other things I have cooked to prepare for a couple of days:
1. thin pork chops with the Penzey Bavarian Spice Mix.  (think mustard, rosemary, oregano, thyme)
2. roasted cabbage steaks.  Yum.  Olive oil and garlic salt.
3. Zucchini spears.  Quartered zucchini with olive oil and garlic cooked under the boiler.
4. Sweet potatoes for this week's post-workout meals.
5. Hamburger patties. 
6. Coleslaw with apple cider vinegar.  I don't love this recipe.  Maybe a balsamic here would be better as well, or now that I have the homemade mayo, maybe I go back to the creamy slaw.  I'll force myself to finish this tomorrow for lunch at work with some kind of protein. 

I have a bunch of raw pecans. I want to try and roast and grind them to make my own pecan butter this week.  Mmmmm.  It sounds so good to me for some reason. 

I am also accepting more vegetable suggestions. (i.e. BEGGING for more ideas)  I need to come up with another lively, diverse salad, and some other vegetables I can cook a lot of at once.  Maybe a cauliflower?  Tell me your ideas!


No comments:

Post a Comment