Friday, August 21, 2015

Day 17 of the Whole30. Navigating a Party and Out of This World Chicken. Seriously.

It's Friday! That means a weekend of cooking is upon me again.  This weekend, I am going to try and make Oldie's Green Curry as one of my major recipes.  Oldie is my friend Jennifer Olsen "Oldie" Yeamans.  I'm also going to make meatballs and a marinara and serve them over zucchini noodles, I believe.  Plus, I can freeze part of the meatballs.  I will also need to make more sweet potatoes, decide on a breakfast vegetable, and get some more berries and maybe a watermelon. I am hoping that kind of cooking takes me into Tuesday and maybe Wednesday.

This morning before work I put some chicken into a marinade that I mixed up.  It was from a recipe for Oven Roasted Chicken Shawarma that another friend, Erika Wicks, share in a comment on the Facebooks.  Let me tell you, I don't really know a lot about Shawarma.  This is the first time I have ever owned tumeric, and cumin? What is cumin supposed to do?

I marinaded the chicken starting this morning because I knew I was going to a house warming party later this evening, and I really needed to eat before going so I didn't make any stupid decisions.  Before I get back to discussing the chicken, I have to say that the pre-eating strategy really worked.  I ate dinner, and when I got there, I wasn't tempted to eat anything I couldn't have.  I did eat a couple of cut vegetables, but that was it.

Ok, now to get back to this chicken shawarma.  How have I ever lived life without this food!? It was seriously delicious. I had a slight crunch/crispy aspect on parts of it, it was extremely flavorful, and it was so easy to make.  I mixed all the ingredients this morning very quickly, put the chicken in to marinate, and tonight when I got home, I put it in a 425 degree oven for about45 minutes.  The smell alone made my mouth water, and it was insanely easy to make. 

The recipe calls for a homemade garlic sauce and a pita, but I just used lettuce as a wrap and had some diced tomato.  I made the garlic sauce, but honestly, it sketched me out.  It just didn't look or smell right, so I threw it out.

I highly recommend this recipe, minus the garlic sauce.  This will become part of my favorite rotation!      

I'm still feeling great except I just hit my sleepy/tired wall and want to nod off and fall asleep.  So, on that note, goodnight everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment