Monday, May 29, 2017

Day 28 and 29 of the Whole30. Getting Ready to Do it Again in June.

Day 28 and 29 were ok.  I went to a cookout yesterday and stuck to the basics.  Hotdog, hamburger, no buns. I brought roasted fingerling potatoes, which were good.  I also had a bunch of watermelon, but since I'm still eating fruit through tomorrow, I didn't sweat it too much.  I did have coleslaw which had mayo that probably wasn't compliant.  If that was the worst of day 28, I'll take it.

Today I did fine.  I had normal breakfast, a post-swim snack of roast beef and potatoes, and hotdogs and zucchini for dinner.  I went to Green Valley with Taz to buy dog food, and on the way home, I got hungry.....hungry for something delicious, which doesn't exist in Green Valley.  I was able to resist the lure of the McDonald's filet-o-fish, which is just about the only fast food item I can stand to eat.  The trick was just to keep driving for home, no detours, no thoughts of stopping. 

I just finished reading The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.  It's about overcoming Resistance.  Early in the book he writes, "Most of us have two lives.  The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."

Resistance manifests itself in a myriad of ways and is the fear that blocks you from being your true self.  The book is fantastic and applies to people's lives in many situations, whether you want to be a writer, an artist, a doctor, a parent, or whether you want to accomplish something like sticking to a goal to lose weight or climbing a mountain.

In addition to talking about the Resistance, the book talks about ways to beat Resistance.  He also talks about the fact that when you take steps to beat Resistance, to live your true life, the Universe conspires to help you fulfill that dream.

It's a quick read, about 2 hours.  Check it out if you're so inclined.  I plan to read it again.

Tomorrow is Day 30 of my first month of Whole30-ing.  I'll just keep going straight through into June.  Yesterday I made a pot roast.  I was expecting it to be all tender and fall-aparty.  Yeah...uhm, that didn't happen.  My friend Michelle tells me my cut of meat was all wrong for fatty bombalatte pull-aparty happiness. So, I have sliced roast beef which is fine but not exactly what I wanted.  I also have some leftover spaghetti sauce and zucchini, polish sausages, some chicken breasts, and broccoli that will be meals until Thursday.  Then, I leave for a night in Phoenix for a conference.  An overnight away from home while on the Whole30.  My plans for compliance include hamburgers with no bun and salads without cheese and creamy dressings.  I'll pack some pumpkin seeds and some packs of almond butter in case I get in a jam and need a snack. This will be my first foray into Whole 30 and overnight traveling.

Hopefully the brief jaunt to Phoenix prepares me for later in June when I have to go to Chicago for a food show.  You might know Chicago...home of some delicious pizza, Italian food, Greek food, steaks (which will be compliant technically), and all kinds of other foods I won't be eating.

I'm not gonna lie.  Chicago is going to be hard, especially because it includes flying.  Something about flying and airports makes me insanely hungry.  I have to have a meal and a snack and another meal and some plane snacks to go with all the plane snacks I bought and then some more meal action.  It's ridiculous.  When I have a long day of flying somewhere, I feel like all I do is have meals.  So.....any suggestions to deal with that, aside from wiring my mouth shut, are welcome.

On that note, it's time for tooth brushing and bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment