Saturday, May 27, 2017

Day 25, 26, and 27 of the Whole30. We Were Off the Rails and Found the Rails Again

Well, I'm almost finished with the first 30 days of my double Whole30 experiment.  I went off the rails on the 25th in the mid-afternoon.  I was back on track by the next morning, and then had a sandwich for lunch on the 26th.  Yep.  A sandwich.  I was in Tucson, I felt crummy, I was hungry, and I had a chicken salad sandwich with a side salad.  Oh, and a piece of carrot cake for dessert.  Whoops.  I'm still vulnerable to the sugar dragon, which is making me rethink some things for the next 30 days. 

I managed to right the ship again today.  I had to go back to Tucson to have my car service, and I went to the BBQ place next door.  I had some brisket, green beans, and a baked potato for lunch.  There was probably butter on the green beans, but if that's my biggest crime, I'll take it.

Tomorrow I'm going to a cookout, so I'll take some compliant hotdogs to grill.  I'm also going to roast some fingerling potatoes in garlic and olive oil, and I'll take a mini-watermelon.  That way I know there will be things there I can eat.

Tonight I cooked spaghetti sauce using ground turkey.  I used a tomato sauce without sugar called Rao's.  It was good.  I had also used their pizza sauce for the pepperoni egg cups I made.  I ate the sauce over sauteed zucchini, which is my new favorite thing when I want something like spaghetti.  It's really good, actually, and I don't miss the pasta at all.

I am also going to cook some chicken and vegetables this week, and I'll make a pot roast in the crock pot.  My go-to vegetables this week (and most weeks) are zucchini, spinach, and broccoli. I also bought a head of Napa cabbage to make a salad.  I needed something different to mix it up a bit. There is this delicious Napa cabbage salad where you toast crunched up ramen noodles, sesame seeds, and almonds with a stick of butter. You mix that with the cabbage and douse the whole thing with a balsamic vinegar dressing, and it's divine.  I'll be skipping the crunched up ramen and butter concoction and the sweetened balsamic dressing, but it will still be good with a regular balsamic dressing.

That's where I am so far. Why did I have a meltdown on 25 and 26? Emotional eating, stress, not feeling well, being depressed about the fact that things aren't always easy.  The usual reasons.  I am reinforcing myself by continuing to plan my attack for the coming week. I am also going to make a few changes for next month.

Right now I'm eating one or two servings of fruit a day, usually with some kind of nut butter.  Also, if I need a snack, sometimes I'm eating Larabars.  They are compliant, but they contain cashews and dates.  I think the dates and the fruit keep my sugar dragon going strong, leaving me wanting donuts or carrot cake or 700 muffins. I've eliminated all the added sugar foods.  Maybe be dialing back on the foods higher in naturally occurring sugar, that will help.  All we can do it give it a shot.

I'm afraid I have nothing else for today.  No words of wisdom or deep thoughts about this journey.  I'm just tired and trying to maintain some resolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment