Saturday, May 13, 2017

Whole30 Days 12 and 13. The Feast and Famine of the Freezer

I seem to have recovered from my meltdown from Day 11 unless I ended up totally losing it on Thursday and don't know it.  Maybe I went nuts and bought all the donuts and candies I could find, and now I'm writing to you from a sugar-induced hallucination where things only seem normal in my mind, but I'm really lying on the floor with mini snickers bars and almond joys scattered all around me. Don't come in the door! I might have boobie trapped the place by scattering whoppers all over the floor so you'll trip and fall trying to save me from the jumbo delivery of Krispy Kreme donuts.

Damn.  I just typed Krispy Kreme, and NOW I really want a donut.  That's what happens when you joke about going off the deep end with junk food.  The junk food fights back.  Do Not Taunt Krispy Kreme Donuts! They are coming for you.  

Ok, don't worry.  I know I didn't go off the deep end because I'm having brussel sprouts as part of my breakfast, and I can taste the slightly bitter, crunchy healthfulness.  It's definitely not sweet, fatty, salty, bready, and delicious.  The rest of breakfast includes Whole30 approved bacon, two eggs, and some berries.  That's my standard breakfast. The vegetable might change, and sometimes I have an apple instead, but for the most part, I have the same breakfast every single day.  I'm good with that so far. 

I had bunless hamburgers last night and Thursday night for dinner.  I didn't do the portabello mushroom bun because when I thought about it, the mushrooms turned on me. That happens sometimes.  There can be a food that's perfectly fine, and I don't mind eating it. Then, one day, it turns on me, and I dread the thought of eating it.  The mushrooms turned on me.  I'm hoping I can cook them on Sunday and not hate the thought of it.

I also cooked chicken and shredded it. I'll make part of it into a chicken salad today that will take me through the weekend and to Monday for lunches.  I might use a small part of it for a savory dinner of some sort tonight.

Yesterday I was struggling with what to have for lunch.  There's a local place called City Salads where you go tell people wearing hairnets, gloves, and weird face shields what you want on your salad, and they build it for you.  You would think designing your own salad would result in awesome salads.  It doesn't really work that way there, though. Don't get me wrong.  The food is fine, but somehow you take all these ingredients that would normally make a delicious salad, and the end result is just blah.  Again, the place is fine, and it's definitely helpful on the Whole30 because you can order exactly what you want without having to say "Oh, no cheese, no croutons, no ranch, no corn, no beans, no eye roll because you're sick of me changing your salad."  Still, I wasn't sold on City Salads.

Then it hit me, "Why don't I go shopping in the wonderful food emporium called Allison's Freezer?" I peeked inside and saw all kinds of options. Fish, steak, chicken, quail (how do you even deal with those?), shrimp, hot dogs... What WASN'T in there? Seriously.  I pulled out a ribeye and a bag of brussel sprouts.  I grabbed a potato from the fridge, and voila! Lunch that I could cook at work.

I have this problem eating the foods in my freezer, especially the meat. The ice cream is no problem.  I have that covered, but having to thaw out meat before I cook it is a pain.  It's like I have all this food and nothing to eat!

I don't have a microwave, so there's no defrosting things quickly. (the defrost function on the work microwave is very handy.) When cooking at home, I actually have to plan ahead to thaw something out in the fridge before I want to use it.  I also have to be careful that I don't wait too many days, or I'm convinced the food has spoiled.  It's a delicate balance, so I usually end up not thinking about the freezer as an option for finding protein to cook.

The funny part is I still stick things in there like I'm going to eat them later.  "Oh look! This chicken is on sale.  I'll get two and put one pack in the freezer to sit there for a year until I need to make room for something else to freeze, and then I'll throw it out because it looks nasty and grosses me out." Honestly, I get the heebiejeebies when something starts looking crusty and freezer burned.  Of course I probably also think anything that is frozen looks freezer burned when it is actually just frozen like it's supposed to be because, you know, it's IN the freezer.

Well, the ribeye was DELICIOUS! It was flavorful and juicy and not at all as disgusting as it looked in its frozen form.  That has pushed me to cook more food from my freezer.  Yes.  The quail was just moved from the freezer to the fridge.  I will cook those on Sunday evening after I do some googling on how to cook quail.  The good thing is I'll have back-up chicken salad in case they are gross.

I also have sausages to cook this week.  I just need to stock up on some vegetables, apples, and berries, and I should be all set until Thursday.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment