Saturday, May 20, 2017

Day 20 of the Whole30. Unprepared to Prep

Today is Day 20.  I figured I would take advantage of a slow Saturday to do some meal prep for the next few days.  I have learned that food that is unprepared is not really food.  It just takes up space in my fridge. For example, broccoli that hasn't been steamed in advance is just a useless blob sitting in my fridge because if it's not ready to go, I'm not going to want to deal with it during the week.  So, I spent about an hour and a half turning items in my fridge into food.

I put some potatoes in the oven to bake.  While that was happening, I did all the rest.

Steamed Broccoli: I cook a lot of broccoli at once so that I have it ready to heat up for meals.  Once it's pre-steamed, it's an easy vegetable to saute in olive oil and goes with most any kind of protein. It's especially handy at breakfast, when I need a fast, easy vegetable to add to the plate.  My other standby for that is spinach because you can saute 500 cubic feet of spinach in about 30 seconds. 

Tuna Salad: I cut up celery and a whole onion (only using part for the tuna salad...the rest I'll use for tacos) I added spices, avocado mayo, some onion, celery, and lemon juice.  All done.

I had to wash the cutting board and items used for getting the tuna salad ready so that I could clear up the sink for the strainer.  That way I could drain the broccoli and run it under cool water for a moment before putting it in a tupperware destined for the fridge. The timing was just right...broccoli finished just as clean-up from tuna salad making finished. 

Now I was ready for a really tedious task.  Washing lettuce.  There are few things in this world worse than washing lettuce.  I don't like to buy the pre-washed, pre-chopped stuff.  I find it's tough.  Who wants tough lettuce?  Not me. If I buy a head of lettuce, whether romaine or green leaf, if I don't pre-wash and dry it, all I've done is buy something to put in my fridge to rot.  I even have one of those salad spinners that makes it easy to dry lettuce leaves after washing them.  I still hate washing lettuce.  That said, I effectively cleaned and dried a head of romaine and a head of green leaf, finishing just before the potatoes hit the one hour mark in the oven.  

I checked the potatoes and added another 20 minutes to their cooking time.  I cleaned up the rest of the kitchen.  Voila.  Food prep for a few meals was complete, including the hamburger I browned last night for tacos.  It always seems like a herculean task to get things staged in advance for meals, especially when I really dislike cooking.  Too bad I don't also dislike eating.  I love to bake, actually.  Go figure.  Cakes, pies, cookies, bread.  It's like some cruel joke.  "Let's make her hate cleaning lettuce but love making complicated desserts. It will be hilarious...hahahaahha"   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment