Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Whole30 Day 2. Sweet Lord, I Hate Pressure Cooked Chicken

Let's all take a moment to rejoice because I made it to the end of Day 2 of my Whole30.  Day 1 didn't go so well due to some dietary indiscretions mid-morning.  I had to drive to Tucson for an appointment, and on my way home, I might have driven through Dunkin Donuts for a coffee but really a donut or two.  Every other meal on Tuesday was fine, though, so I'm moving on.  

Today I was hungry.  I ate enough, and all my meals were Whole30 meals. However, my soul was still hungry because at this stage of the game, my soul still likes carbs apparently. Bonus points with my soul if the carb is also served with ice cream.  

I powered through today and made a bunch of vegetables tonight to have for the next couple of evenings.  Roasted brussel sprouts, and sautéed zucchini. Now I just need to work on a protein option because I learned an important thing about myself tonight.  I despise pressure cooked or boiled chicken.  I miss the taste of it being kind of caramelized in the skillet or on the grill.  Instead, boiled or steamed or pressure cooked chicken tastes like a limp hand, and there's no good way to eat limp hand.  

I make chicken in the pressure cooker all the time for Taz, but apparently Taz likes limp hand. It also eliminates the fat that he can't have.  So, Taz will have his chicken, and I will have to do something different.  

The other problem with chicken is that you have to be careful that you don't end up with "woody chicken," a phenomenon affecting the chicken world.  Woody chicken exists because the chicken breeders have created some weird frankenstein chickens that grow too fast and end up with some muscle issues in the breasts causing it to be hard and rubbery.  Imagine what it's like biting into a tire.  Feel your teeth going through the rubber.  Feel the awful taste on your tongue.  That's woody chicken.  It's truly gag-worthy.  

So, I'm having this revelation that chicken and I aren't really getting along that well.  What are some other decent options that are lean and fairly easy to cook?  If you have a favorite recipe for something other than chicken, let me know, as long as it doesn't involve flour, legumes, dairy, cake, cookies, donuts, potato chips, pancakes, waffles, yogurt parfaits, yadda, yadda, yadda.  

Despite my best judgement, I am thawing some chicken breast cutlets I have.  I'm using those to make a Whole30 compliant chicken marsala tomorrow.  If you see me post a sad face tomorrow night, you'll know it's because I ended up with woody chicken, I gagged, and I lost my appetite.  

Taz is telling me it's time for his bedtime snack and some limp hand chicken to disguise his probiotic pill.  Have a lovely Thursday, everyone.  



No comments:

Post a Comment