Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Reason 5,678 Why I Hate the Former Owners

Yesterday morning the shower in my bathroom refused to get hot.  Yes.  Yes, I did let it run for a while.  Nothing.  I moved the shower knob around.  Nothing.  I stood there praying.  Nothing. 

Logically, I knew it wasn't the hot water heater.  It couldn't have been because the rest of the house has hot water.  It must be the stupid knob.  Stupid, stupid, stupid knob. 

There must have been indications before that the knob had failure tendencies.  Much like other things that were either broken by the owners after my home inspection or that were about to break but they didn't say anything, the knob must have been on their "I hope she doesn't notice and ask us to fix it" list.  Bastard.  Cruel, old, decrepit bastards. (I realize how irrational that is.  Maybe they didn't know.  That is what my rational mind says.  However, my former-owner-hating mind says they knew and decided to say 'screw it. not my problem anymore.')

So, in the midst of one of the busiest weeks at work, I will have to figure out how to change a shower faucet knobymajig.  The upside to all of this is I get to use the guest bathroom.  It is a good quality control step to make sure that shower is in proper working order.  If that fails, though, I am in a world of shower-less hurt because there are only 2 bathroom.  I can't abandon that one and move on to the third.

3 comments:

  1. The knob thing sounds like it might be easy to fix. SOUNDS like. It's the kind of thing the Home Depot commercials lead you to believe is a fun little lark. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elizabeth. I'll let you know how the lark goes this weekend. If all else fails, I at least know where the master cut-off valve is for the water supply to the house...in case I end up breaking something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UPDATE: It wasn't actually the knob. It was a second, secret hot water heater. I finally found the thing by investigating my roof line looking for an extra vent pipe and then ripping off a panel of the outside wall. good times.

    ReplyDelete