Sunday, September 6, 2015

It's Day 33! Reintroduction and Meeting Again for the First Time

It's Day 33, and I have tried reintroducing one thing so far on this journey.  Yesterday I ate a hamburger WITH a bun (GASP).  I decided to have lunch at a place close to my house, and ordered the burger and a side salad (yes...I avoided the fries.) The bun had the appearance of a semi-healthy bun...it was wheaty and had sesame seeds on it and the lettuce was baby lettuce, which somehow changes the value of the bun, right? The bun HAD to be special, right? Wrong.

After eating the bun with a burger on it, I had this insane urge for dessert.  GIVE ME ALL THE SWEET THINGS! NOW!  I went to the grocery store to stock up on food for me and the dogs for a few days, and I kept desperately searching for something that was good enough to justify eating dessert. Almond poppy seed muffin? They were all out.  Candy bar? Nothing could justify eating it. I was like a crack head in a crack box store where all the crack was available, and I kept looking and looking for what would scratch the itch.  I am aware that in the checkout line at the first grocery store I had to visit, I looked like a total sketch-ball because my eyes were darting over the candy bars trying to decide what to do.

In the end, I had to stop at a second store for a few more groceries where I bought a banana and a travel pack of almond butter...maple flavored.  That's right! Flavored almond butter, which means a smidge of added sugar on top of the banana.  It could have been worse or it could have been 50 pieces of cheesecake.  It wasn't.  It was a banana and almond butter.  All that frantic dessert craving, and I totally blame the bun.

Dinner last night and meals all day today were Whole30.  I ended up making the Whole30 recipe for Shepherd's Pie tonight, which is ground beef with sweet potatoes on top.  I like the recipe, but the next time I will use regular potatoes or mashed cauliflower. The sweet potatoes are a little too sweet.

Gigi thinks the Shepherd's Pie smells pretty delicious. 
 
So that's my first attempt at reintroduction. I'm going to have to stay away from bread, especially for the next month or more.  It just makes me have too much of a craving for other bad stuff.    

I really want sushi, actually.  The problem with sushi and reintroduction is that it has soy (legume) and rice (grain).  They suggest one restricted item at a time to be able to determine which food group actually makes you feel different. So, sushi might have to wait a while. Plus, I am kind of wondering if the rice will have the same craving-inducing effect as the bread....  

No comments:

Post a Comment