Friday, March 18, 2011

Welcome to the Machine

After many attempts, mostly unsuccessful, to remove the thinset from my floor after busting up tile, I have broken down and will rent a machine.  Yes.  A machine.  This machine is designed to grind down the thinset with carbide bits so that I once again have a smooth concrete surface. 

I have mostly resisted the machine idea, thinking instead that I would chip away at the alien spaceship thinset from hell with my trusty hammer and chisel.  As much as I love my hammer and my new chisel, they just aren't getting the job done...at least in this century, and that's saying a lot since we are still early on in the century. 

Tomorrow I will drive to Green Valley, where I have reserved the floor grinding machine of destiny.  Evidently it's a big machine and will require two people to load it into my vehicle.  That should be easy since I assume a person there will help me load it.  The interesting part will be getting it out of the vehicle and into my house once I get home.  Unless Bhodi and Myrtle get super motivated and decide to help, machine removal from the vehicle will have to get creative...or I will have to call someone in a fit of desperation. 

I am hoping it grinds without jacking up the slab underneath the thinset.  I am also hoping that the rental people are going to give me some kind of training on how to use the thing.  If not, we're winging it, because I am sick of trying to figure out how to get this crap off my floor. 

Sunday will be wallpaper removal and drywall fixing day.  If anyone is bored, come on over to Octopus street. 

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could come over! Good luck with the machine. I love hearing about your heroic efforts with the house. I wish there were more PICTURES!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do a better job posting pictures. the machine is kicking my butt today. arg.

    ReplyDelete